We are expanding and growing at UVU Bio, join our amazing team!
UVU Bio was founded in 2019 and is a Biotechnology ecosystem enabler focused on supporting the growth of the Bioeconomy of South Africa. To fulfil this role, UVU Bio has evolved its activities across three core verticals: Incubation and Acceleration, Laboratory and Skills Development. A position for a vibrant and meticulous lab technician with an eye for detail is available within our Laboratory business unit. The incumbent will work closely with Skills Development. The successful candidate will be responsible for supporting our laboratory staff and patrons with various technical activities and laboratory procedures, as well as the execution of experiments in our world-class laboratory in Salt River, Cape Town.
UVU Bio needs you!
The successful person will need to be thorough in the execution of all their duties, successfully maintain laboratory processes and equipment records, and generate reports to submit to the laboratory manager, stakeholders and clients. Most importantly, you need to be a team player, able to work with minimal supervision and is dynamic.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Ensuring that safety guidelines are adhered to at all times within the laboratory.
- Maintain fortnightly logs of occupational health and safety equipment such as first aid kits and fire extinguishers and make sure that these are fully stocked and serviced.
- Cleaning, sterilizing, maintaining, and calibrating laboratory equipment.
- Maintaining laboratory stocks and ordering supplies as needed.
- Providing technical support when necessary.
- Conducting laboratory inductions to new laboratory users and training on equipment usage.
- Executive experiments and analysis on projects
Lab Technician requirements:
- Diploma, bachelor’s, or honours in biotechnology, biology, biochemistry, or a related field.
- Experience working in a shared laboratory setting.
- Understanding of OHS and ISO 9001: 2015 management systems, preventative measures, and laboratory best practices.
- Ability to work autonomously.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Analytical and calculus skills
- Ability to effectively use Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook.
If you want to be part of the dynamic UVU Bio team, please click here.